I found this article on keeping your desk tidy. I like it. Essentially because staying organized can help reduce frustration and becoming overwhelmed from all the clutter. So in my quest for greater peace in my life, here's just another way to help keep my mind clear. Maybe it will help you too:
1. Use a system to manage paper trails - Most of the clutter on our desks are paper. So figuring out a way to organize them will help a lot! Here are some suggestions:
- Inbox Tray: This can be a regular letter tray where you put documents that you don't yet have a place for.
- Incubate Tray: This is where you put all the items that are "on hold." Basically anything you don't have time to fully complete, or aren't ready to begin.
- Action File: Here is where you put all papers requiring more than 2 minutes of your attention.
- Current Projects Rack: Use a file rack to hold folders for your active projects.
- Filing Cabinet: File away any completed projects, general items or anything else you might need to refer to again in the future.
- Dumb boxes: Always have a trash can or shredder close by to eliminate the hesitation to save anything unnecessary.
2. Banish Post-it Notes - Now this is something I would have most trouble doing, but the rationale makes sense. Post-its are too easy to lose, and to some may look ugly and OCD. So instead, keep a little notebook on your desk to write down reminder notes.
3. Trash Printouts - After you've completed any actions associated with a printed file, then throw it away. Especially if you already have a copy of it on your computer, don’t keep it lying around on your desk.