Wednesday, November 4, 2009

To Whom it May Concern:

Today we had a lesson in grammar - who, who's, whose, whom. How often do people seriously use these correctly? My sister, who is majoring in English, informed me that those whom use this grammar technique correctly have probably learned English as a second language. Now, I just used the words who and whom in that sentence, and I'm still pondering whether or not I used it correctly.
Well, we did a little research - and although we think we know it better, its all a little vague. Here's a few lesson tips:
- He is someone who is a great guy. (Who is subject of the subordinate clause)
- He is someone to whom I owe a great deal. (I is subject; whom is the object referring to the sentence subject he)
- He is someone whom I admire. (I is subject; whom is the object referring to the sentence subject he)
- He is someone whose help I appreciate. (Whose is adjunct to help which is possessed by the sentence subject he)
Here's the kicker, both of the following sentences are acceptable:
- He sent gifts to his granddaughter, of whom he was fond.
- He sent gifts to his granddaughter, who he was fond of.

So do you guys get it? Ya, I can't say so for sure either.

No comments:

Post a Comment