Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hump Day Fave: Life Lessons & Rules of Life

I know this is an odd favorite to share... But when you think about it, life throws us unexpected turns and whirls that we experience everyday.  What I think is interesting is how people lead their lives and deal with those unexpected events.  So here are a few life lessons and truths that I personally enjoy and try to keep in mind and in good practice in my life:

1. Treat others as you want to be treated.
I make an extremely high effort to always treat the people around me with respect and kindness, exactly how I expect to be treated.  For the most part, I find that treatment is returned.  However there are people who don't live by this rule, and my answer to that is - continue to do your part.  This way you will have no regrets and can sleep well knowing you did your part.
There are people who expect to be treated well by others, but reversely treat others like, well like crap.  And if you are that person, then I do not feel sorry for you when the same treatment comes back at you.  What can you really expect?

2. Bad things happen to good people.
No matter how many things you do right in life, bad things can, and probably will happen to you.  Everyone faces hardships in their lives and there's no reason why - except in my opinion, you must.  Going through difficult times helps you appreciate the good.  Not only that, it helps you recognize the bad.

3. Don't waste time with regret.
Sometimes shit happens.  Things don't go as planned, mistakes are made and decisions lead to regret.  My philosophy is deal with it.  Vent, get it off your chest and then move on.  Constant complaining, regret and dwelling does nothing for you.  It doesn't solve your problem.  It doesn't fix anything.  What's done is done, all you can do now is continue your life and make the adjustments you need to in order to move on. 

4. If it sounds too good to be true, it's too good to be true.
I mean really, can you name one thing that sounded too good to be true, and was in fact true? 

5. Dream big.
Why the hell not?  Aim as high as you can, and work your ass off to get there.  What's the worst that can happen?  You don't get there, and my answer to that is if you work hard in life to get somewhere big, there's no way you drop all the way to the bottom of the bucket if you land a little off.  A person with that drive and motivation becomes a somebody.   Oh, and make sure you encourage your kids to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment