Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Worthwile Cause, A Worthwile Blog

A long lost friend from high school is about to embark on an incredible journey. He's turning in his corporate card for a year of giving back. He wonders if he's crazy, but I think he's braver than all of us. Here's some of his first post documenting his decision to follow his dream:

I have been working since I was 16. For years I found myself chasing after the almighty dollar. I don't consider myself materialistic, I like nice things like any normal person, I prefer Mac over PC not because of what I can do with it, but because I just happen to think it looks cooler. Given the chance I will spend money for the sake of spending money because that is what society tells us is the normal thing to do. It's the norm I've been accustomed to since I acquired my first paycheck working part-time at a Mail-Boxes Etc while attending high school.

I should have gone to college, but the money was too good. I was making more money working in the corporate world, while friends of mine going to school were studying to eventually get the job I had.

Fast forward 10 years, and I find myself a 26 year old sitting in front of a computer, pouring my feelings out on this keyboard in search of a more fulfilling path. I've had good jobs, great jobs, crappy jobs and just jobs. I've learned a lot about myself and about the world.

After all this time I've noticed that no matter how philanthropic the company you work for swears it is, you never find yourself helping out on that side of the spectrum. You're stuck on the rat-race side, the side that has you screwing the little man, not helping him. When I think back to all my years working, I realize the only times I felt true satisfaction was when I participated in the volunteer and charity events sponsored or participated in by the powerful corporations I worked for. It was this knowledge I had been struggling with for a long time.

And just two days ago I had a dream.

See, I left my current job with the idea that I would start work at yet another very succesful corporation making a decent amount of money working, traveling and working some more. And it was then I realized I didn't want to do it all over again. Start a job I would love at first because of the stability and the financial security it gave me, only to hate myself years later for not being true to myself.

So I dreamt.

As crazy as it seems I declined the position I was offered, and instead began planning to pursue an undertaking beyond crazy, in my opinion. If it's crazy to me I can only imagine what those of you reading this will think.

I post this now, not to toot my proverbial horn, nor to make an attempt at seeming self-righteous with you guys. I respect all of you and the course your lives have taken. I appreciate all of your status updates and all the witty and sarcastic comments from time to time. I share this recent update to get your input and ideas. Because, God knows, I'm going to need it.

I have decided that beginning April 22, 2012 on Earth Day, I will challenge myself to participate in a volunteer/charity event daily for a full year. I have given myself a full month to prepare so as to allow a good amount of planning ahead of time, while allowing me some flexibility of last minute invitations or ideas from those of you who will be following me along. I'm not hoping for much, but hope that at least those of you who are my friends will care to see what's going on.


I can't wait to read of all the good Alvaro is going to be doing in this world. And I've officially decided that Goal #53 on my DZP list is going to be dedicated to Alvaro's cause. While I may not be prepared to take a year off to do all the amazing things I know he will be blessed with, I absolutely want to be apart of it.

Follow him. You won't regret it, A Worthwhile Cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment