Courtesy of my sister's great taste, and that of the Fine Cooking recipes, I give you adult ice cream:Ingredients:
- 3 or 4 medium lemons
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. table salt
- 2 Tbs. citron vodka
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove all of the zest from 3 of the lemons in 3- to 4-inch-long strips. Set the lemons aside.
- Combine the lemon zest, cream, milk, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Let steep at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Squeeze 2/3 cup juice from the reserved lemons (juice the fourth lemon, if necessary).
- Stirring constantly, pour the lemon juice into the cream mixture in a slow stream.
- Stir in the vodka.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a 4-cup glass measure (or any container with a spout for easy pouring), pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Divide the mixture among eight 3-oz. pop molds or wax-lined paper cups.
- Freeze until just barely set, 5 to 6 hours.
- Insert craft sticks and freeze until completely set, for about 2 hours more.
- When ready to serve, unmold or peel off the paper cups.
Make ahead? Pops can be frozen for up to 3 days.
Yields 8 pops.