Thursday, February 4, 2010
Mix it Up: Chicken Noodle Soup with a Twist
Chicken Noodle Soup with a Twist
Courtesy of Tyler Florence
Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients for the soup:
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 parsley stems, plus 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- 4 black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish
For the meatballs:
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Olive oil
- 6 links organic chicken-apple sausage meat
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 handful fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 pounds frozen cheese tortellini, store bought
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Set a large stock pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, half the garlic, carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf, and thyme, gently saute until fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, add parsley stems, black peppercorns and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
Meanwhile caramelize the diced onion in a saute pan with a little olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage, egg, onion, thyme, parsley, and cheese to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they all come together. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a skillet with a few tablespoons of olive oil until just smoking. Use a small ice cream scoop to drop meatballs onto skillet. Cook, turning, until golden brown.
Now drop the tortellini straight from freezer into the soup. Cook until they float.
Once the meatballs are browned, add to pot of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
Give soup a final seasoning and serve in shallow bowls with a small shower of Parmesan, olive oil, and parsley.