Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mix it Up Update: Chicken Lime Tortilla Soup

Remember the Mix it Up post about the Chicken Lime Tortilla Soup??  And how it's been on my to-make list?  Well, done and done.  But of course, I forgot to take any pictures... I can tell you though, that it is a keeper!  Here are a few changes I made to accommodate the ingredients I already had, and the flavors of the people I was feeding...

Ingredients

- 1/2 lb. chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 3/4 zucchini sliced and quartered
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 avocado per each bowl (diced small)
- 1 cup mixed Mexican cheese (shredded)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Tortilla strips for garnish
- Spoon sour cream if desired

Directions
Combine chicken stock, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, and lime juice with the jalapeno and cilantro into a pot and simmer for 45 minutes.
While simmering, grill the chicken until cooked all of the way through. Let sit for about 5 minutes before cutting into small cubes or strips.
Add the green onion, bell peppers, zucchini and garlic, simmer for an additional 20 minutes. 
Throw in the cubed chicken during the last few minutes.
Garnish each plate with desired amounts of crushed tortilla strips, diced avocado, cilantro and shredded cheese. 
Mix in a spoon of sour cream for a thicker soup if desired.
 
My man really loved this one and was sad that he only had one bowl.  Next time I will definitely double the recipe to have seconds and leftovers, as well as add more kick when my parents are eating any of it. 
Loved this!

No comments:

Post a Comment