Monday, May 21, 2012

Meditation

If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.


- Pema Chodron

"What can we possibly learn from the driver who cuts us off or the rude person behind the counter or the friend who forgets your birthday? So much! What we learn is not about them but about ourselves. When we take a close look at how we respond to these people, we can discover our character defects, our habits, our automatic responses that block us from feeling peace.
"Does it do us any good to get angry at the driver who is now creeping along at twenty miles an hour in front of us?
"We might see the rude person behind the counter for only five minutes in our entire life. Is it worth carrying our upset with us for the rest of the day?
"So our birthday isn't the most important thing on our friend's mind and she forgot to send us a card. Is this worth resenting our friend and feeling disturbed when we see her?
"How important are most things that cause us pain and suffering? If we decide to change our automatic reactions, we can replace them with the question, 'What can I learn about me from this person or this situation?'
"Why not use today as a practice day to grow spiritually? Be mindful of how you feel and what you think, whom you judge and what upsets you. Open your heart to everyone you meet. Stop, breathe, and feel the peace.

"I am becoming more peaceful as I learn and accept that it is I, not others, who create my suffering. I am opening my heart to everyone I meet today."

No comments:

Post a Comment